menu
categories

S.A.D

Tuesday 21 November 2017

So the nights are drawing in and you can feel it creeping up on you. Yes, it's SAD. Seasonal Affective disorder. Seasonal affective disorder according to the NHS lifestyle website is a type of depression that occurs every autumn and winter.

The symptoms of SAD include but are not limited to;
  • Lack of energy
  • Sleeping in
  • Less sociable 
  • Difficult to concentrate
I'm starting to feel it a little as well.
But luckily got a list that could help you through these cold winter months.

Disclaimer.- I am not a medical professional so take this advice with a pinch of salt. Also, not everything on here will work for you so don't rely too heavily on this guide.


One
Soak up that sun. I'm no doctor but I think part of the reason why you get SAD is that you're not getting enough vitamin D. And it's getting to winter so you're starting to feel that deficiency kicking in, and the happiness draining out if you. So what you need to do is to take every opportunity to go outside even if you just want to step out into your garden for five minutes and then come straight in. Also, open your blinds. Yeah, that's a little bit obvious but I swear, sometimes I forget to do that and even when the skies are grey it still helps to have a little light in the house. I mean it's not vitamin D but it's something.
Two
Watch Christmas movies. Okay, this one is a little bit controversial. Okay, not a little bit. A lot. But seriously, there's nothing a little Christmas cheer cannot fix. I swear I got that from a Hallmark movie. There are hundreds of these on YouTube. I mean, they all have the same kind of storyline and the same kind of characters that it still makes me feel Christmassy. And feeling Christmassy cheers me up on gloomy grey days.(Mostly because Christmas always seem to land on those kinds of days.)


Three
yoga. I mean I don't know what else to say. It kind of just works but what I love about it is that it works and you both physically and mentally.


Four
headspace. Now I'm pretty sure if you watch YouTube or on Facebook or any kind of social media you have seen lots and lots of adverts for headspace and not gonna lie it is very good. I'm using the free version and it has helped me so much for so many things like exams. I have started to use it to help me stay balanced. It doesn't make you instantly chiper but it helps you stay focused and peaceful. It's kind of like yoga but focused on the brain. You should definitely try it!

Five
seeing as I grew up in a musical family, singing always makes me happier. It is something that I'm comfortable doing even though I have a voice of a choking cat on ketamine. Try it! Hum the first song that comes to your mind! Trust me, it helps a lot.
That's it from me right now.
For more information on SAD you can visit the following websites.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Seasonal-affective-disorder/Pages/introduction.aspx
https://www.normanrosenthal.com/seasonal-affective-disorder/
Love Rose
xxx

newer older Home

Rose Cocoa Blogs